March 22, 2009

Urban existentialism.

Have you ever had the sudden feeling of surreality when you're in the midst of a city? When you're standing on the street, sitting at a cafe, or just looking out of a window, do you suddenly feel as though everything seems to be somewhat alien, or perhaps existentially remote? That all the concrete buildings around you seem to be odd forms that uniquely define the worldly space which you inhabit? That the word "city" seems to hold much more to it in terms of an inexplicable understanding or feeling that transcends description in language?












I recently begun exploring film photography - Lomography, specifically - and I find that film photos seem to be able to capture that feeling of urban surreality. The photos above that I posted were taken on my first ever roll of film, and they aren't exactly the best photos, but hopefully, they will be able to convey what I mean. Of course, as T.S. Eliot says in The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock,

It is impossible to say just what I mean!

2 comments:

  1. What's lomography? If it's that wonderful technique I see, I say KEEP IT UP LEUNG.

    Such beautiful pictures.

    Update: I read wiki's entry on lomography and I think this phrase describes it perfectly: 'happy accidents'.

    I LOVE LOMOGRAPHY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sublime! I think I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete